Graduation FAQ’s

What is commencement? 

Onondaga’s Commencement ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 10am. Students are encouraged to arrive at 8:30 a.m. for check-in and registration. The ceremony will be held at the SRC Arena and Events Center at Onondaga Community College.

Please note: 
Students must have submitted an application for graduation by April 27th in order for their name to appear in the May commencement program. Students that apply after April 27th are to participate in the ceremony, pending review of degree requirements.

What does the term “matriculate” mean?

A matriculated student is one who meets all admission requirements, has been formally accepted into a degree or certificate program, and is enrolled at the college. A student must be matriculated in his or her program in order to apply for graduation.

How many credits do I need to graduate?

Please refer to the College catalog to review your particular program’s overall credits and degree requirements. You may also visit the degree program pages and select your program, and then click on the ‘curriculum’ tab on the left. Your specific degree requirements will be listed.

All A.A.S., A.A. and A.S. degrees include at least 60 academic credits. Certificate programs include at least 30 academic credits.

How do I have transfer credits evaluated?

The application of transfer credits is subject to department guidelines. Approval from the Office of Registration and Records must be obtained in order to transfer in credits for the degree. Therefore, official transcripts from other institutions from which you wish to earn transfer credit must be mailed to the Office of Registration and Records in the Gordon Student Center. Students are encouraged to have transfer credits evaluated upon acceptance to Onondaga so credits are in place prior to applying for graduation. Please note that at least twenty four credits must be completed at Onondaga.

Can I earn more than one degree from Onondaga?

You may earn more than one degree at Onondaga. A concurrent degree is one in which the student pursues courses of study in two disciplines leading to degrees in both at the same time. A dual degree is one in which the student graduates in a program, and then pursues another degree.

For multiple degrees, a minimum of twenty of the academic credits for any associate’s degree and ten academic credits for any certificate must be credits which have not been applied to a previously or concurrently awarded degree. If you are interested in pursuing more than one degree you should meet with your advisor.

What is a minor? How do I declare a minor?

Minors are specialized areas of study consisting of twelve credits of approved coursework. If you have interest in one of these areas, consult your advisor on how to set up your class schedule to complete the required coursework. Minors in any of these areas are not open to students who are majoring in that same area. Please fill out our online form

How do I apply for graduation?

After meeting with your advisor, you should submit an application for graduation through WebAdvisor. You will choose the application for graduation link found under the academic planning category. Please note that you only need to apply once.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas will be available for pick-up 6-8 weeks after the end of the term. Students will receive a notification that diplomas are available via email.  They then have one month to pick up their diploma. Any students who do not pick up their diploma will have it mailed to the address on file.  If you have had or anticipate having an address change after graduation, please contact Grad Central via the [email protected] email as well as Student Central and notify them of the change.  Students with outstanding balances on their accounts will receive a notification via email that their diplomas are being held. Per SUNY policy, we retain these for one year.  Onondaga Community College must retain any unclaimed diplomas for a minimum of one year, per the SUNY Retention and Disposition policy.  After that time, graduates will be required to reorder their diploma.

How do I replace my diploma?

To order a replacement diploma, fill out the Diploma Replacement Form and return it to Student Central. Payment in the form of check or money order must accompany the form in order for a diploma to be ordered.

How are honors determined for graduation?

Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude will be recognized at the commencement ceremony based on the cumulative GPA recorded prior to commencement. For May graduates, the cumulative GPA at the end of the fall term will need to be used as final grades from the spring term are still in progress. However, honors will be designated on your official diploma based on the student’s final cumulative program GPA.

  • Cum Laude 3.4 - 3.59
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.6 - 3.79
  • Summa Cum Laude 3.8 - 4.0