There are many scholarships available for students pursuing their higher education goals. The three main categories of scholarships include:
Onondaga Community College Foundation Scholarships
Onondaga Community College Foundation scholarships are both financial and merit based, and eligibility may require a specific GPA, program of study, etc. Some scholarships may require an essay, letters of recommendation, or interview. A majority of Foundation scholarships require that students have an up-to-date Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file in the Financial Aid office. Early submission is recommended.
Onondaga Community Scholars Program
Onondaga Community Scholars provides qualified students with scholarships of up to $1,000 - saving students and families approximately 25 percent of tuition costs. The program helps provide financial assistance to students directly from high school, adults 21 and older who wish to begin college, and former Onondaga students who have earned at least 40 credits towards their degree (or 20 credits towards a certificate).
Applications are being accepted now. Onondaga Community Scholars is funded through the College’s Reach Beyond Campaign. Scholarships are awarded based on academic performance and demonstrated financial need. Interested students must complete an Onondaga Community College free online Admission Application AND a 2013-14 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before completing the Onondaga Community Scholar’s application.
Students are encouraged to apply early. For questions please review the FAQ's. The priority deadline to apply for Fall 2013 is April1st.
"I was thrilled to receive a letter of acceptance. This scholarship made it possible for me to take two additional courses next year and reach my goal sooner. Without this scholarship, financially it would not be possible."
~ Suzanne Stonecipher, Homeland Security and Disaster Preparedness
The following funds make the Community Scholars Program possible:
- Alliance Bank Scholarship Endowment
- Allyn Foundation Community Scholars Endowment
- Allyn Honors Scholars Program Fund
- Allyn Multicultural Scholarship Fund
- Allyn Native Scholarship Fund
- Anaren Community Scholars Endowment
- Bond, Schoeneck & King, Community Scholars Endowment
- Bridgestone/Firestone Scholarship Endowment
- Carrier Corporation Community Scholars Endowment
- Community Bank Community Scholars Endowment
- COR Development Community Scholars Endowment
- Elec Tech Scholarship Endowment
- Donald C. Helmer Scholarship Endowment
- IBEW/NECA Community Scholars Endowment
- JGB Enterprises Community Scholars Endowment
- KJ Electric Community Scholars Endowment
- MACNY Community Scholars Endowment
- Marsellus Family Community Scholars Endowment
- OCCF Achievement Scholarship Endowment
- OCIDA Community Scholars Endowment
- P. Drescher Co., Inc. Community Scholars Endowment
- Henry A. Panasci, Jr. Community Scholars Endowment
- Joan M. Policano Community Scholars Endowment
- L. & J.G. Stickley Community Scholars Endowment
- Stoddard Community Scholars Endowment
- SRC Community Scholars Endowment
- Syracuse Orthopedic Specialists Community Scholars Endowment
- Mark & Phyllis Tryniski Community Scholars Endowment
Local Agency Scholarships
Local agency scholarship offerings for Onondaga Community College current and potential students. Many clubs and organizations offer scholarships to college students. Students can obtain information on some of these local opportunities from high school guidance counselors, libraries, or from the Internet. We have provided a list and description of those available.
Nationwide Agency Scholarships
A list of websites where you can search for third-party scholarships is provided for your convenience. (Please note: These websites are not associated with the College). Onondaga Community College is a Collegiate Partner of Scholarship America and the Dollars for Scholars family of community scholarship foundations.