It’s FINANCIAL AID Time! Are you planning to attend OCC in the Summer, Fall or next Spring?

Apply for financial aid NOW by completing your 2014-15 FAFSA application online at New York State residents can click the link on the FAFSA confirmation page to apply for a New York State TAP award, or apply directly 3 business days after the FAFSA is processed at

Remember, you will need all of your and your parent’s (if you are under 24) biographic and financial data. Have that information ready before you start the FAFSA. You can download our “How to Apply for Financial Aid Form” or pick request one in person at the Student Central counters in the Gordon Student Center.

Summer Financial Aid Is Available!

Did you know Financial Aid can be available to students in the summer?  If you are planning to attend for Summer, you must complete the FAFSA for both academic years: 2013-14 AND 2014-15.  Visit for more information. 

Summer Student Loan Deadline

If you still owe a bill for Summer 2014, you may apply for a Summer 2014 Federal Direct Student Loan to cover your balance. Follow these simple steps:

  1. Stop in to pick up the Summer 2014 Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form at Student Central. You must be enrolled in at least 6 credits throughout the Summer sessions.
  2. Complete ALL steps on the loan request form including the online entrance counseling session and Master Promissory Note
  3. Submit the Loan Request Form to the Financial Aid Office (the Loan Request Form cannot be turned in until you have completed all steps).

The deadline to complete ALL loan application requirements is THURSDAY, August 7 at 2 p.m Got questions? Contact an Enrollment Associate at Student Central in the Gordon Student Center or call the financial aid office directly at 498-2291.  


Yes! Specific information regarding your financial aid, including missing documentation, is available by logging onto WebAccess and selecting My Documents.  If the financial aid office needs information from you, it will be listed on My Documents and the status will say PLEASE PROVIDE. 

We encourage students to bring any requested documentation to Student Central in person so that a member of the financial aid team may provide personalized service at the counter. When mailing or dropping off forms or paperwork, please allow up to 15 business days for processing.

Are you looking for a summer job? Have you considered summer work study?

Positions are available for students interested in work study over the summer.  To be considered for summer work study, you must be matriculated and in good academic standing. You must also have a 2014-15 FASFA on file to be considered for summer work study.   You do not need to be enrolled in summer classes to participate in the work study program; however you must be returning for at least six credit hours in the fall semester. 

If you are interested, please stop by the Student Central service counter to complete the summer work study request form. 


Students cannot be awarded financial aid for classes that do not count toward their degree or certificate program requirements.

If a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward his degree, those courses cannot be used to determine enrollment status and aid eligibility. All registered courses must apply to the student’s program as a general education requirement, a major requirement, or elective (whether restricted or free elective). 

There is one exception to this under the New York State TAP program when the student is in his final term of study: if the student needs fewer than 12 credits to graduate, other courses may be included to determine full-time status even if not required to complete graduation requirements. 


Students who repeat courses they have taken previously either at OCC or another institution and received a passing grade for that coursework, may have an adjustment or denial of one or more of their financial aid programs. This may impact both federal and state aid programs. To maintain full-time status for financial aid, a student’s coursework must be for at least 12 credits without the repeated class. An exception may be made for state aid if the student did not meet the minimum grade requirement for that class for graduation.

  • Federal Aid, including student loans, will pay for a student to repeat a course only once, regardless of the student’s previous grade.
  • State aid (TAP) will only pay for a repeated course if it is required to have a higher grade for graduation in the student’s particular degree program. 

If a student’s program does not require them to earn a higher grade for graduation, but the student is being advised to repeat coursework for academic reasons, it may be advisable for the student to be enrolled in at least 12 credits of new coursework (in addition any repeated courses) in order to maintain his/her full time status.

Students can be referred to Student Central for questions or may call (315) 498-2291.