Policy Name: Financial Aid
Responsibility for Maintenance: Financial Aid
I. Policy Statement
Candidates for Financial Aid to Onondaga Community College must satisfy the minimum requirements set forth in this policy, as well as all requirements, procedures, rules and regulations established by United State Department of Education, New York State Department of Education and the financial aid office. This policy is not intended to establish an all-inclusive list of requirements for financial aid or factors considered in the application process. Except as set forth in this policy or required by applicable law, the College reserves the right to award or deny candidates for any lawful reason.
II. Reason for Policy
This policy is intended to ensure that the College’s financial aid decisions are based upon sufficient information and are rendered in a manner consistent with applicable law.
III. Applicability of the Policy
All College personnel having a role in the financial aid process, and all prospective applicants for financial aid, should be familiar with this policy.
IV. Related Documents
- US Department of Education/Eligibility and Certification Approval Report (ECAR)
- US Department of Education Program Participation Agreement (PPA)
- Federal Student Aid Fiscal Operations Report and Application to Participate
- U.S. Code, Title 31, Section 1352, 34 CFR Part 82 “Restrictions on Lobbying” Certification
- SUNY Code of Conduct for Title IV FFEL and Private Alternative Loans
- Student Loan Accountability, Transparency and Enforcement Action (SLATE)
Requirements for Financial Aid
Financial Aid Website
Financial Aid Requirements
The awarding of financial aid will be based upon the following:
- Completion of a Financial Aid Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Completion of a NYS Tuition Assistance Program application (TAP)
- An application and acceptance for admission into a degree or certificate program.
- Completion of all required documents as determined by the financial aid office.
- Upon completion of required documents the financial aid professionals will review to determine eligibility for federal, state and local aid and notify the student in writing via mail of available aid. Awards are also available to view through FA on the Web. All grants are automatically made accepted upon awarding and thereby available to the College Bursar as pending to defer incurred tuition, fees, and housing charges (if applicable). Federal student loans require a signed Loan Request from the student, authorizing Financial Aid to certify loan awards. The Loan Request will make loan eligibility available to the College Bursar as pending to defer incurred tuition, fees, and housing charges (if applicable)
- The awarding of aid is based upon regulations and guidelines set forth by the US Department of Education for federal aid and the New York State Department of Education for New York state aid programs and scholarships, and Onondaga Community College and/or the College Foundation for institutional scholarships.
The payment of financial aid will be based upon the following:
- The certified enrollment status as of the census date of any given semester and/or the census date of any variable length coursework for any given semester, for federal, state, and institutional grants/scholarships;
- The certification of enrollment of at least six (6) credits when federal loan proceeds are received by the College Bursar.
VII. Forms/Online Processes
- Onondaga Community College’s Financial Aid Programs, student expense budgets, how to apply for financial aid and apply online. See the link above to the OCC Financial Aid website.
Approved by the President February 4, 2010