Policy Name: Student Travel Activities
Responsibility for Maintenance: Student Development
Date of most recent changes: June 17, 2014
I. Policy Statement
Onondaga Community College believes that off-campus activities by its students which utilize College resources and/or are otherwise associated with the College are an important part of students’ overall learning experience. Off-campus activities do, however, involve significant risks, both to students participating in them and also to the College based upon the manner in which students conduct themselves while off campus. To effectively manage these risks, the College has developed this policy which sets forth the conditions on which it is willing to permit these types of off-campus travel activities.
II. Reason for Policy
This policy is designed to clarify the College’s expectations of students participating in the activities described above, to manage the risks associated with such activities, and to ensure that students involved in such activities conduct themselves in a manner that reflects favorably on the College.
III. Applicability of the Policy
This policy applies to students and student groups engaging in travel activities that involve use of College funds or other resources (e.g., vehicles), and/or that are otherwise associated with the College (e.g., through use of the College’s name). All students, as well as College personnel involved in arranging or overseeing student travel activities, should be familiar with this policy.
|Subject ||Office Name ||Title or Position ||Telephone Number ||Email/URL |
Questions Regarding Policy
Office of Student Leadership and Engagement
Coordinator of Leadership Development
(315) 498-2762 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Concerns regarding physical accessibility
Director of Disability Services
(315) 498-2834 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
Students and student groups engaging in travel activities that involve use of College funds or other resources (e.g., vehicles), and/or that are otherwise associated with the College (e.g., through use of the College’s name) must:
1. Comply with Onondaga Community College Policy N5 Student Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures and all College policies and procedures applicable by their terms to the students and/or group while participating in the activity, understanding that such compliance is important to the success of the activity and to the College’s willingness to permit future similar activities.
2. Conform their conduct to the standards surrounding the activity and assume responsibility for their own actions, understanding that the circumstances of an off-campus activity may require a standard of decorum which may differ from that applicable on campus. Students are at all times subject to the studentcode of conduct found in the college catalog on online at www.students.sunyocc.edu/index.aspx
3. Refrain from purporting to act as an agent or representative of the College, it being understood that students and student groups shall not have, or hold themselves out as having, the power or authority to bind or create liability for the College by virtue of their negligent or intentional acts or omissions.
4. Except as otherwise expressly agreed upon in writing by the College, assume full financial responsibility for all costs and expenses incurred in connection with the activity, including without limitation financial responsibility for damage or destruction to property of third parties.
5. Comply with decisions by College officers, employees and/or agents to terminate the student’s and/or group’s participation in the activity because of conduct believed to be contrary to the interests of the College.
6. In the case of a student, immediately disclose to the College any physical or emotional conditions or problems that might impair his or her ability to complete the activity, and to release the College and its trustees, officers, employees, agents and representatives from any and all claims, demands, injuries, damages, losses, actions, causes of action, or expenses whatsoever arising out of his or her failure to disclose such conditions or problems.
7. Only Onondaga Community College students, employees and authorized representatives are allowed to travel in Office of Student Leadership and Engagement vans or on buses sponsored by the Office of Student Leadership and Engagement. The only exception is volunteers who must have written authorization granted by the Vice President of Student Engagement & Learning Support or their designee prior to the event.
8. To submit a copy of the attached Waiver, Release and Emergency Contact Notification Form, fully and accurately completed, to the college employee organizing the travel activity prior to departure from campus.
VI. Forms/Online Processes
Approved by OCC Board of Trustees April 3, 2006
Updated and approved by the OCC Board of Trustees June 17, 2014