Policy Name: Social Media
Responsibility for Maintenance: Enrollment Development & Communications; Student Engagement and Learning Support
Date of Most Recent Changes: April 30, 2013
I. Policy Statement
It is important that members of the Onondaga Community College community recognize that social media is open to the public. Employees, students, and affiliated individuals are urged to practice thoughtful discretion and maintain the highest standard of respect and professionalism when participating in social media communities. Although Onondaga Community College will not systematically monitor social media, the College may investigate if an issue regarding compliance with College policies, procedures, and/or standards is raised with respect to the participation of a student, employee, or affiliated individual in a social media community or conduct as reflected in the social media community. Social media and other forms of online discourse are typically individual interactions. Members of the College community are personally responsible for their individual posts and should make it clear that they are speaking individually and not on behalf of Onondaga Community College. If a posting is related to Onondaga Community College or subjects associated with Onondaga Community College, a disclaimer such as this should be used: “The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Onondaga Community College’s positions, strategies or opinions.” Onondaga Community College accepts no responsibility or liability for the content of such postings. Persons authorized to issue social media postings and create social media presences on behalf of College positions or to make statements on behalf of the College are limited to those identified in the College’s policy on Communications and Public Relations (B4).
II. Reason For Policy
Social media postings and presences that are attributed to or associated with the College necessarily impact the reputations of individuals and institutions. This policy limits the persons authorized to issue statements on behalf of the College using social media to protect the interests of the College and to ensure compliance with applicable College policies.
III. Applicability of the Policy
This policy applies to all College employees, students, and members of the College community.
IV. Related Documents
| Subject || Title or Position || Telephone Number || Email/URL |
| Questions regarding policy || Vice President, Enrollment Development & Communications || (315) 498-2988 || [email protected] |
| || || |
Any employee, student, or member of the Onondaga Community College community who feels that Onondaga Community College policies or applicable laws have been violated by social media activity of another member of the College community may file a complaint with the Vice President of Enrollment Development and Communications (employee concerns) or the Senior Vice President of Student Engagement & Learning Support (student concerns). Complaints will be directed to appropriate College officials for investigation and additional action as appropriate.
For College Operations:
- Prior to engaging in any form of social media representing Onondaga Community College, you must receive permission from the supervisor as appointed by your department head and the Division of Enrollment Development and Communications.
- Departments and offices should coordinate any social media efforts with the Division of Enrollment Development and Communications.
- When using an approved and officially recognized social media channel, assume at all times that you are representing Onondaga Community College.
- Confidential or proprietary College information or similar information of third parties, who have shared such information with you on behalf of Onondaga Community College, should not be shared publicly on these social media channels.
- Administrators for the College’s web properties, as well as the College’s main social media accounts, may choose to post College related social media content generated by faculty, staff and/or students. The College’s main social media accounts include:
- Facebook http://www.facebook.com/onondagacc
- Twitter http://twitter.com/onondagacc
- YouTube http://www.youtube.com/onondagacc
- Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=1084147
- Instagram http://www.instagram.com/onondagacc
- Snapchat https://www.snapchat.com Username: OnondagaCC
Guidelines for Personal Use
The College urges users to use discretion and professionalism at all times.
- Exercise thoughtfulness and respect for your colleagues, fellow students, associates and the College’s supporters/community (social media fans).
A healthy dialogue can be useful but refrain from engaging in
dialogue that disparages others, including colleagues, fellow students,
competitors, critics or the College.
Refrain from reporting, speculating, discussing or giving opinions on College topics or personalities that could be considered sensitive, confidential or disparaging.
- OCC logos and/or visual identity cannot be used for personal social media without permission of the College.
- If you publish content to any social media outlet outside of Onondaga Community College and it is connected to or associated with the College, use a disclaimer such as this: “The postings on this site are my own and do not represent Onondaga Community College’s positions or opinions.”
- Onondaga Community College does not monitor personal websites and social media accounts but will address issues that violate established Student Code of Conduct and Human Resources, Editorial, Graphic and Social Media guidelines.
Approved by the President September 26, 2006
Updated and approved by the President April 30, 2013